Wednesday, October 21, 2009

If There Be Thorns (Dollanganger, #3) by V.C. Andrews

4/5

I'm beginning to have a love-hate relationship with V.C. Andrews - she's keeping me up all night!

When I started this book, I was disappointed in the change of narrator from the previous two in the series (Flowers in the Attic, Petals in the Wind), but I understood why it was necessary to tell the story. Even though I missed Cathy's point of view, it was fascinating to see into the minds of her two very different sons. The evil done in this book matches that of Flowers. As I reached the climax, I could no more put this book down than I could cease breathing, though I was metaphorically holding my breath with anticipation. The ending wasn't entirely satisfying - but then there are two more books in the series, so it shouldn't have been. I can't wait to read Seeds of Yesterday and find out whether Bart turns out to be a psychopath or whether his fragile self can be turned from its seemingly disasterous path.

No comments:

Post a Comment