Saturday, November 14, 2009

Life Disrupted: Getting Real About Chronic Illness in Your Twenties and Thirties by Laurie Edwards

Rating: 1/5

I was pretty disappointed with this book. I was convinced by the title that it applied to me, but there was almost nothing within that I could relate to. This book is for people who have been suffering from chronic illness since they were children, and/or experience frequent hospitalization. It does little more than touch on subjects such as managing careers and relationships, deciding whether to try to have a baby, and learning hospital "lingo", none of which applies to my situation. The author's and interviewees' stories are interesting enough, but overall, I feel like this book did not live up to its implied promises. Once again, the single person's situation falls through the cracks, ignored. The author can be seen as an inspiration, but not everyone has such a huge network of support to help them achieve success. In my experience, most people suffering from chronic illness are isolated, with few supports, frustrated with doctors who don't know what to do (unlike the author's physicians), and suffering from co-morbid mental illness(es) like depression. I felt that the author glosses over these nasty bits of reality in favour of her own experience. In light of this, she probably should have written a memoir instead of a self-help book.

No comments:

Post a Comment