Monday, April 12, 2010

Wake (Dream Catcher, #1) by Lisa McMann

Rating 3/5

Not as good as I'd been hoping. A friend wrote a review and got me really excited about this book, but I almost quit after 15 pages. It's very sparse at the beginning - I could've done with a lot more background, a lot more about the protagonist's childhood, growing up with an alcholic single mother and her struggles with falling into dreams. The book is short, which is ultimately one of the reasons I did finish it - it took me only a couple hours. I did end up liking it, just not as much as I expected. I am interested to see what happens next in the series. One thing that really bothers me is the assumption that Melinda is a lesbian just because she dreams about having sex with women. It's actually not true - studies show that lots of heterosexual women have dreams about other women. I think it's irresponsible of the author to not mention that fact. Young adult readers struggling with their own sexuality could become confused. Another thing, everyone in the book has recurring dreams. I'm not positive, but I think recurring dreams are not that common!

No comments:

Post a Comment