Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Stuff: Compulsive Hoarding and the Meaning of Things by Randy O. Frost

Rating 4/5

Fascinating. I read this book in one sitting, which surprised me, since I usually have to take breaks from non-fiction books. I saw myself in some of the rationalizations people use to hoard, but fortunately I've been able to let go of things over my life. It helps that I'm a buddhist. I still hoard craft supplies - my tiny apartment would be much more livable if it weren't for the stacks of beads, yarn and fabric. But I still have less "stuff" than anyone I know. I especially identified with the problems with potential and opportunity that hoarders find in any object. I think it's the reason why I have shelves of books I haven't read and get anxious when I think about committing beads to a specific project - once they've been used, they lose their potential for everything else. Anyway, I thought this book was great!

No comments:

Post a Comment