Monday, October 4, 2010

Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Rating: 2.5/5

I honestly don't know how to rate this book. I could give it 5 stars for originality and creativity, or 1 star for how little I cared about any of the characters. Parts of it made me slightly nauseous, and most of it made me impatient. The many, many references to other works (of literature and art, I think) are alienating to the reader, unless that reader happens to have Masters degrees in those subjects. Nabokov has an interesting grasp of the English language, and he pretty much uses every word in the dictionary. He paints a very vivid portrait of obsession, and I can appreciate why this book is a classic, but in truth I didn't really like it. Everybody in it was despicable to me, including (after awhile) Lolita.

No comments:

Post a Comment