Thursday, November 18, 2010

Anatomy of an Epidemic: Magic Bullets, Psychiatric Drugs, and the Astonishing Rise of Mental Illness in America by Robert Whitaker

Rating 4/5

This book should be required reading for everyone with a prescription pad, and everyone even contemplating being on the receiving end of a psychiatric prescription. Society at large and especially those of us in the mental health system have been lied to and duped into taking drugs that can and do turn a single episode into chronic, disabling illness.

I was skeptical when I picked up this book. Part of me expected a hysterical tirade a la an irate Scientologist. Instead I found a meticulously researched, heavily referenced and calmly reasoned expose of the psychiatric industry's self-salvation, at the expense of millions of already suffering and marginalized people. It's a travesty and an outrage. This is a book of vast importance, and I wish I could buy a copy for every doctor and fellow patient I've come across during my nearly twenty year journey as a psychiatric "consumer". It will change your mind about everything you've been told about psychopharmacology.

No comments:

Post a Comment