Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Rating 3/5

The message in this book is really important, but I didn't always care for the presentation. I understand the author was trying to appeal to a certain audience - namely the general masses who don't think critically or understand the basics of science - by trying to be amusing. Personally, as someone who does think critically and understands science, I think this is a serious issue that deserves a serious perspective, and reading this book gave me a feeling of dissonance. Is it right to joke about a pervasive issue that does so much harm? Goldacre seems to think this is his only way of delivering his message to the people who need to hear it most, and that end justifies the means. But in the process he dilutes his own credibility and the gravity of the problem. I don't have a solution to this dilemma.

No comments:

Post a Comment