Thursday, April 28, 2011

Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez

Rating 4/5

A beautifully written book, with amazing character portraits. It made me think hard about love - what it is, and what its place can be in a life, etc. Part of me can't find anything honorable in Florentino Aziza's love, because it was based on a non-relationship and therefore more likely to be defined as an obsession. But another part of me thinks maybe there are people out there who might live their best life in such a single-minded way. I'm obviously not one of those people, and I struggled to take Aziza seriously. Slowly but surely the author won me over, and I wasn't even unhappy with the ending like I thought I would be. The only flaw I found in my experience of this book was that I didn't really connect with or like any of the characters. While they were described meticulously and fascinating, I didn't care very much about them, and I read for the sheer pleasure of the prose rather than to find out what happened to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment