Thursday, December 13, 2012

Kiss of Midnight (Midnight Breed, #1) by Lara Adrian

Rating: 1/5

Adrian is not a bad writer in the technical sense, but her characters and story-telling are thoroughly unoriginal. This is an extremely watery copycat of J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood series - it lacks any depth, humor or real felt emotion. Gabrielle is an annoying idiot, and Lucan is a pale rip-off. I was so annoyed, I was actually hoping one of them would die. I get that characters in books - and people in general - do stupid things. But a good writer creates sympathy for these characters' foibles by giving them credible reasons for their mistakes. You feel like, under the circumstances, you may very well have done the same thing. Or at least, you can readily understand why the protagonist made their bad decisions. Not so with this book. "I'm stubborn and reckless" is an over-used and never credible motivation in this genre (and urban fantasy, especially YA). Gabrielle and Lucan - and therefore also the author - are maybe the worst offenders I've suffered to read since Rebecca Fitzpatrick's Hush Hush. The only thing going for this book is Adrian's good grammar and occasional interesting turn of phrase. I think I am done experimenting with the paranormal romance genre.

No comments:

Post a Comment