Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Ishmael by Daniel Quinn

4/5

Ok so technically this book had a lot of unbelievable elements, talking gorilla aside. But again, that's not really important. I think I liked this a little better than Ishmael, because there was a lot less weed-pulling with Julie than with Alan, and more getting to the point. It also gives somewhat of an idea of how things could be changed - through information dissemination and experimentation ('inventiveness'). I still think it's not possible, but trying to change minds and the way we live seems like the only worthy endeavor in the world, even if it is futile.

On another note, I find it interesting that every negative review of a Daniel Quinn book I've read is based on a fundamental misunderstanding of at least one of his basic concepts. People are so resistant to change they are too panicked to even pay attention to his complete line of thinking. Sad.

See my review of Ishmael: An Adventure of the Mind and Spirit also by Daniel Quinn

No comments:

Post a Comment